Lillooet to Pemberton Duffy lake road on a Bike

GoldRush

August one week before the Pemberton slide I rode from Cache Creek(Hat Creek ranch turn off) to Pemeberton,Whistler,Britania beach,Horseshoebay
Ferry to deliver a MC to my son in Chemainus.The first stretch to Lillooet I had done before but not Lillooet to Pemberton,I was in for a few surprises and
my riding skills were tested that day.First "None" of the one lane bridges are marked who has the right of way that was interesting when I met a Motorhome on the bridge. The road has many switch backs some of which have loose gravel on the tight corners. There had been a small mud slide onto
the road on a steep curve where water was running down the road,my back wheel decided to kick out sideways,up on the pegs dirt bike style on a touring bike Hmmm. Where the two lifts of pavement meet (the seam) the rains have erroded the pavement and there is large cracks parallel to the direction of travel 4 or 5 inches wide and sometimes 3 or 4 feet long,get a wheel in one one of those babies and "Goodbye" The scenery is spectacular and if I wanted to rubber neck I had to stop because the road demanded my attention. When I reached the Works Yard on the Pemberton end the highway changed and was good after that except for the friggen long hill, I used my gears on it so the brakes would'nt heat up. 4 sport bikes caught up to me and I pulled over and flagged them by,that was one time I would have traded bikes for awhile :) Next time I do that road I'll talk to a highways crew and get a heads up before venturing that piece of highway,it was'nt for the faint of heart or novice biker.

SilverD

The Duffey's a well known road to most lower mainlanders, that doesn't mean they ride it a lot, but know of all it's, err .. unique ... features.

I usually ride it at least a couple times a month in the summer. It is slowing being repaved it seems, about half done now, personally I like the old rough Duffey much more, longing for the old days.... :)

Regarding the one lane bridges, who ever is on the bridge first has the right of way, and If I were meeting a motorhome for sure he would have the right of way. but frankly I'm usually on it by 9 in the morning and motorhomes and such are not an issue..

I always find the Duffey a great start to a long day.

Dudette

Back in '06-'07 it was one of the favorite ride for the few guys I used to ride with. I haven't been this way since then but I heard it has been paved for quite a few ks now and is very nice.

It is a great "track" for sportbikes but it was definitely getting a little too rough the last few times I went there.

Don (SilverD) is A FN MANIAC of this road and could tell you every twisties....sweepers....and bumps on it.

Dudette

The Duffey's a well known road to most lower mainlanders, that doesn't mean they ride it a lot, but know of all it's, err .. unique ... features.

I usually ride it at least a couple times a month in the summer. It is slowing being repaved it seems, about half done now, personally I like the old rough Duffey much more, longing for the old days.... :)

Regarding the one lane bridges, who ever is on the bridge first has the right of way, and If I were meeting a motorhome for sure he would have the right of way. but frankly I'm usually on it by 9 in the morning and motorhomes and such are not an issue..

I always find the Duffey a great start to a long day.

Too funny....what are the odds.......

I'm sitting in Rouyn Noranda (norther Quebec) and writing about you on the Duffy while you're writing about the Duffy..........
We're psychics.................

Dudette

Still is for .... well, me.. Next summer Linda, gotta drag you back there..
And you won't have to insist too much. After a total of THREE rides over this summer I think I'll be "craving" rides....any rides. And of course we should, seriously this time, try to make the overnighter in Republic.

Have fun tonight......while I'm at it!!!

GoldRush

No Reverse Gear

No Reverse gear on my old girl (85 Limited Edition) In 1988 Honda Goldwings
were drasticly changed to a 6 cylinder engine from a 4 cylinder and thats when Reverse was introduced on these heavy Behemoths.
If you ever see two Gold 85 LTDs riding together that'll be my son and yours truely,they are getting rare now and we both have collector plates. :)

Last edited:

schmii

They're just a few clicks past duffy lake with the new pacement coming from pemberton...

just finished putting my bike together from my last "encounter" with the duff.

GoldRush

They're just a few clicks past duffy lake with the new pacement coming from pemberton...

just finished putting my bike together from my last "encounter" with the duff.
OKAY...now you got my curiousity up...your last "encounter"????

Oh,and I did'nt tell you "ALL" of my surprises from that ride that day either. LOL

schmii

I left too late in the day and the higher elevations turned into black ice. Just finished putting all the pieces back together:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z88ocWmHM6U&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Motorcycle Crash Icy Road[/nomedia]

schmii

yeah... happened faster than I can imagine. One way of learning a lesson I suppose. It was such a nice day and sigh a nice road before then. Hopefully whenever I'll avoid such situations forever more.

GoldRush

yeah... happened faster than I can imagine. One way of learning a lesson I suppose. It was such a nice day and sigh a nice road before then. Hopefully whenever I'll avoid such situations forever more.
Well whats important is you survived,that was unreal having the cam running to capture it..can't get any better evidence for insurance than that and a Black SUV as a witness as well. Wearing Leathers?Any road rash or broken bones?

My one piece rain suit looked like swiss cheese after I went down but the leathers were fine underneath it, however the friction heat from sliding on my elbows and heels burnt the skin off my elbows through the leathers,broken left leg,rode home like that,adrenaline does weird things.That was at least 20 years ago.Got right back on the bike after the cast came off and never looked back.

I'll tell ya about my little experience on Duffy Lake road another day,nothing to much but had my heart pumping like crazy for a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

schmii

Wearing textile.

Nothing broken but high sided hard against the ground then the bike decided to smash both sides. Burned through the textile and the 3/4 length jaclet lifted to the side of the rear zipper giving road rash. An order or motoport kevlar is en'route.

No ICBC, no evidence it didn't happen :eek:

GoldRush

Riding Duffy Lake Road

So I'm riding along heading for Pemberton with the Lillooet river on my right side running parallel to the road.I'm starting to relax after all the switchbacks,mudslide,loose gravel, and construction crews.I'm following a pickup with a Beautiful Chrome on Black cruiser in the back,
nowhere to pass so just sit back and relax while checking out this sweet bike.
Hmmm time for a pitstop,its been awhile,I see a pull out coming up on the left,
slow down,signal and head for the left shoulder,on comes the brake lights of
the pickup,he's stopping. "WOW"(I might have said something else) at the last second I see three shallow erosion ditches across the pullout from heavy rains and I'm going to hit them. I'm up on the pegs again bouncing through these friggen erosion ditches,my front wheel leaves the ground twice and I'm stopped. Holy Crap that was wild, the guy honks his horn and continues on."HE" knew this road and knew exacted what was in store for me thinking he might have to lend a hand or whatever if it went bad,Boy I almost did'nt have to have a pitstop after that one.

And thats the rest of the story.

:jaw drop::jaw drop::)

LegalAlien

Super Moderator
Isn't it great that "High Ways" always seems to do the opposite of what you might expect them to do? Tar and gravel roads that have just been painted, widen a stretch of high way skip miles and widen another section, warns with signs for a hardly noticeable bump in the road and forget about potholes or your ditches. :rant:
Good thing that you had the guy driving in front of you.

Last edited: