Vancouver to Athabasca, AB best route?

Harry99

Hi,

I need to go to Athabasca around the 10th of June, could someone offer the best/safest route? Also will the route be ride-able during mid-ish June...?
I haven't planned anything yet as I have no clue what the weather conditions will be up there during June, I'd like to go through the Icefields Pkwy if at all possible.

Any tips are more than welcome.

PS The longest trip I've done so far is 100km one way, know this will be a big jump but I'm pretty confident about the distance, will most likely be taking a break every 500km or so.

crispy

Hi,

I need to go to Athabasca around the 10th of June, could someone offer the best/safest route? Also will the route be ride-able during mid-ish June...?
I haven't planned anything yet as I have no clue what the weather conditions will be up there during June, I'd like to go through the Icefields Pkwy if at all possible.

Any tips are more than welcome.

PS The longest trip I've done so far is 100km one way, know this will be a big jump but I'm pretty confident about the distance, will most likely be taking a break every 500km or so.
Welcome to our addiction , your question about routes has a ton of good answers , some of which depend on how fast you want to do it , you're doing your first trip , hopefully a great memorable trip , I've done a few trips since getting my first bike in 1970 .I think you'll be Ok in June , ut you will hit some high passes so have some warm gear , these days I take a short break every 2 hours , but can still do 1000km a day when I have to . My choice if I wanted good scenery and less traffic would be to ride highway 3 , the crowsnest route as far as Cranbrook, then go North on 93/95 to Radium then turn right and follow 93 to the #1 then go west for a bit to Lake louise , then North on the parkway, to Jasper . Proceed East on 16 . Eventually youllbe turning North around Stoney Plain and head up to Athebaska , look at your maps and start planning another trip in the Kootenays for next time :)
If time is a problem your choice is the Coquihala to Kamloops the east to lake louise then North to Jasper etc . A lot quicker but not as scenic plus a shit load of traffic . Just take your pick and ride safe , watch out for sand and gravel on corners in the high areas , .